The high school science club

By Becky Mansfield, Staff Writer — Grab a lab coat, some goggles, and a beaker; science club has started.

This year, the school has created a new club dedicated to science where the members participate in labs and experiments.

“Science club is a baby of mine, I am a strong believer in that science is not a spectator sport and this club provides students with a chance to explore all areas of science and develop a better understanding and appreciation for it,” teacher and club advisor Dori Hess said.

Science club was created to bring people together and broaden their knowledge on all areas of science.

“The main goal of this club is to provide a fun opportunity for students to broaden their knowledge of science and to interact with other students who have a shared interest in various areas of science,” Hess said. “Students will explore career and educational opportunities through field trips, webinars, guest speakers and various other activities. Students will also carry out water testing lessons, in association with the Herbert Hoover Water Quality Grant, as well as community service events in order to create connections between science in the classroom and the community.”

Any student can join. So far, there are a total of 49 students participating in the club. The members of science club often participate in hands on experiments such as solidifying rubber in a vinegar solution to maintain it’s shape. The club has also partnered with outside sources.

“We have partnered with The American Chemical Society and the University of Akron polymer engineering program,” junior John Bodenschatz said.

The club itself does not cost any money, however students are encouraged to raise money for field trips and supplies.

$516
$500