Drama brings holiday spirit to the school

By Allison Detloff, Staff Writer — December is the month for being thankful, and Drama III and IV classes are working to help students and teachers around the school realize just how many things there are to be thankful for.

The assignment was for students to think about all of the things that they are thankful for and chose one to write a two to five minute mini-play about. Each student has to write and direct their own play, along with acting in at least one play, either their own or another student in the class’s play.

The idea to do these projects came from drama teacher Brittany Racano as a way to think about all of the things that they have to be thankful for.

“Nowadays I feel like for kids, it’s really hard to slow down and think about the little things because our lives are so busy and I think that it’s good to stop and slow down a little bit and reflect on the small overlooked things,” Racano said.

Instead of presenting the idea of thankfulness by just telling students that they have a lot to be thankful for, drama students are trying to show them in a more creative way.

“It’s so hard to be positive about things when people are like ‘you need to appreciate the little things in life’ but maybe if it’s presented to them in a fun way it might open their eyes a little bit,” Racano said.

The plays will be performed randomly in flash mob style, showing up in different study halls, lunch periods, hallways, commons and classrooms until winter break.

Along with trying to get the school to remember all that they have to be thankful for, drama students also hope to help other students get into the holiday spirit.

“We will be sharing these plays with people around the school and hopefully also get them to think of things they are thankful for and get them into the holiday spirit,” junior Sofia Stamaton said.

This project has helped more than just the students watching the short plays. Thinking of the perfect subject for their plays has made drama students recognize all the things they are lucky to have.

“After you write down all of the things you are thankful for, you start to realize how truly blessed your are,” Stamaton said.

Thankfulness is not the only subject that these students are trying to share with their peers.

“I think that this is a good way to get people to think positively and doing it in a fun way for our peers, I’m hoping it will help them to do the same thing,” Racano said.

Keep an eye out for Drama III and IV students this month as they perform all around the school and also remember everything that you have to be thankful for this season.

$516
$500