How students can prepare for college now so their senior year is less stressful

Zoe Elmore

A representative from Kent State Stark talks to a student during the Stark County College Fair held on Oct. 5 at GlenOak High School.

Mirren Grimason, Staff Writer

As sophomores schedule for their junior year, they often stare at the hundreds of course options: CCP, IB, AP, Career Techs and electives. Wondering which one will get them into their dream college. 

The truth is; none of them will. Taking rigorous courses is not the key to getting into a good college. Consistency in your schedule is according to guidance counselor, Kristen Zurbuch, who is the CCP adviser here at GlenOak and previously worked in college admissions. 

“Colleges are not going to nail you for not taking certain courses as long as what you are taking appropriately reflects your interests and abilities,” Zurbuch said.

In high school, preparing for college can be overwhelming and stressful for students. From extensive applications to rigorous courses, it can become a lot of work for one person to handle. However, Zurbuch suggests that following a consistent schedule, starting your college search early, and following these tips is key to a less stressful college application process. 

First of all, make sure to talk to the counselors. They can be a big help in answering your burning questions. All of the counselors here at GlenOak High School have been trained in college counseling and can assist students by answering any questions students may have. If unsure of who your counselor is or how to contact them, check the GOHS resources section of the Plain Local Schools website. There the counselor that corresponds with your last name and their email address, phone number and a link to schedule an appointment with them will be readily available.

Scheduling the classes that are right for students’ wants and needs is another important step. Making sure to choose classes that not only correspond to their abilities, but also interests and potential college major, is key.

“It all depends on the student and what their capabilities are,” Zurbuch said “But taking CCP is a good option if you are looking to go to college in state because almost all colleges in Ohio accept our CCP credits. However, If you’re looking to go out of state, AP or IB might be a better option for you, but it all depends on where you are looking to go.”

During freshman year is the perfect time to explore different classes and discover new interests and to help build the foundation for sophomore and junior year schedules.

Sophomore, Shishir Tallada, talks about what he did his freshman year that set him on a good path and positioned him for success.

“Focus on your grades and build good study habits,” Tallada said. “And explore your interests through extracurricular activities so you can discover your passions and the route you want to take in college.”