News staff and yearbook travel to Boston for convention

News+staff+and+yearbook+members+pose+for+a+picture+at+View+Boston+on+top+of+the+Prudential+Building+in+Boston+Massachusetts.+
Ben Hughes
News staff and yearbook members pose for a picture at View Boston on top of the Prudential Building in Boston Massachusetts.

On Nov. 1, the news staff took a trip to the National Scholastic Convention Fall Workshop in Boston.

The conference was for student journalists to attend in-depth training classes and collaborate with each other. 

“I wanted my students to go because this workshop attracts media professionals, the best of the best high school journalists and their advisers to the city,” news staff adviser Angela Spano said.  

The trip was extended by a half of day so students could have time to explore historic Boston, which had a major role in the American Revolution.  

“Since Boston has so much history in the American Revolution, that students are already learning in classes, I thought it would be important to bring that history straight to life,” Spano said.  

Students went on a tour of the Freedom Trail and also took a Duck boat ride that discussed Boston’s historic sites.

Schools from across the country attended the convention.

“There were 4,400 kids there and that’s not counting the advisers,” sophomore Alex Esway said.

The students attending the convention stayed in mainly two 29-story hotels connected to the conference center. 

Where the convention was being held, they had classes that helped students on the subjects they wanted to learn. 

“A lot of my sessions were about stuff I wanted to learn about, not just journalism but learning how to talk to people,”  Esway said. “They taught us how to keep the story going/keeping the story interesting,

At the convention, students had five 45-minute sessions Friday and Saturday; on Thursday they held a five-hour long session. It ranged from:  journalism, photography, video and editing, web sites, just to name a few.

“I took a web design class there and just in a half-hour I learned how to fix our website,” Spano said.

On the first day in Boston students learned life lessons of what it is like to be in a big city with many different types of people. .

“Well on the first day, Spano and a group of girls with our supervisors were walking back from dinner, two very drunk men walked up and started to harass the supervisors for “walking with pretty young girls,” Esway said.

The teachers promptly removed the students from the situation. 

“Once we got to the hotel, we had a life talk about what happened and how to deal with problems like that when in a big city,” Spano said. 

Overall students enjoyed their trip to Boston.

“10/10, I had a really good time there,I got to meet and hang out with really good people, and I Would go back if I could,” Esway said.

$516
$500