Students create therapy garden

Business students create small businesses.
Students+from+the+group+company+Plant+Haven+pose+with+their+product.++Students+involved+in+Plant+Haven+are+Emma+Pooley%2C+Roman+Woods%2C+Marcus+Alvarado%2C+Bryce+Moore%2C+Makenna+Boord%2C+Marli+Dye%2C+Nora+Salem%2C+and+Austin+Morrison.+
Amanda de Fayes
Students from the group company Plant Haven pose with their product. Students involved in Plant Haven are Emma Pooley, Roman Woods, Marcus Alvarado, Bryce Moore, Makenna Boord, Marli Dye, Nora Salem, and Austin Morrison.

Most teenagers do not think their moms have good ideas. Let, senior Roman Woods can’t say his mom has never had a good idea.  

This fall, Woods got the idea for his business of a therapy garden from his mother horticulture teacher Tiffany Woods. Woods used this idea to launch the company Plant Haven Therapy Garden with his partners Emma Pooley, Marcus Alvarado, Bryce Moore, Makenna Boord, Marli Dye, Nora Salem and Austin Morrison. 

The therapy garden is a miniature garden. It comes with thyme, mint and lavender. Unlike most gardens, the therapy garden can be grown inside.

“Gardening releases happiness and relaxation,” Pooley said.   

The group chose each herb for a reason. Thyme grows a fur on it that is soft and calming to touch. Thyme can reduce stress due to the vitamins that are in it. Mint is for the taste and can be used to stay focused. Lavender is good for reducing stress and has a soothing smell. Mint, lavender and thyme can also be used to cook with.

“When you grow it yourself, you get to watch it grow and it feels like an accomplishment,” Pooley said.

Members hope that putting your garden together and watching it grow is a way to get away from stress. The therapy garden is a simple garden that will not take much time out of your day. 

They sell their product for $47. Each package comes with a planter box, gravel that acts as a draining system, soil pots, a spray bottle, shovel and the seeds for all three of the plants. The garden comes with instructions that tell you everything you need to know about your garden and how to garden it correctly.

Plant Haven is just one of the many products being sold by the business students this year.  Click the link here for complete information of all of GlenOak’s small businesses this year. 

$516
$500