Total Eclipse of GlenOak

Get ready: the Plain Local District has called off school for the solar eclipse on April 8th
Total Eclipse of GlenOak
NASA

If you ask your friends and family around Northeast Ohio the last time they had seen a solar eclipse, they would probably say sometime around August of 2016. However, if you ask around to see who has seen a totality (or the full blockage) of a solar eclipse, the answer would be simple- nobody alive today has seen one.

The solar eclipse occurring on April 8, 2024, will be the first solar eclipse with visible totality over Ohio since 1806, over 200 years ago. This event has been dubbed the ‘Great North American Eclipse’ and will pass directly over most of Ohio.

While there was a solar eclipse visible in 2016, there are a few key differences with this year’s. One large variation is that this eclipse will last over four minutes, compared to the previous two. 

Another huge difference will be solar activity. In 2016, solar activity was at a minimum. However, on the 8th, solar activity will be near the maximum, meaning that there are two special possibilities to look out for. There will be a chance of visible prominences, or large arcs of plasma suspended above the sun’s surface that appear as bright pink curls or loops coming off the sun. There will also be a possibility of a coronal mass ejection, the same thing that causes the northern lights.

Because of these special events, the eclipse is gaining mass traction, and with it, an influx of people looking to view them. According to the Ohio Emergency Management Agency, there could be anywhere from 150,000 to 575,000 people coming to view the eclipse. Executive Order 2024-04D was signed by the governor in advance to direct all State departments and personnel to be prepared. This includes extra law enforcement and first responders available.

Just in Canton, there will be a variety of festivals and viewings that you could attend. Some of these events

include the Towpath to Totality at St. Helena Heritage Park, Total Eclipse of the Hart(ville) at the Hartville Marketplace & Flea Market, the Eclipse Fest at Sluggers & Putters, Eclipse of the Sun at the MAPS Air Museum, Solar Eclipse Fest at Walsh University, the Solar Eclipse Watch Party at the Stark County Fairgrounds, and the Solar Eclipse Viewing party at Centennial plaza. 

Plain Local Schools will have a day off for the eclipse, and there are a couple reasons why. The totality will occur around 3 p.m. meaning that it will be entirely dark and incredibly busy while students are getting out of school. It will be harmful to look at the sun during both the partial timeframe and the total, meaning that the sight of anyone without glasses will be at risk. 

On the other hand, this means students will have the day off to enjoy viewing the eclipse.

“I’m more excited for the eclipse than I ever have been before,” sophomore Matthew Howell said.

Howell is going up to Cuyahoga Falls with some family to watch the eclipse with a telescope. However, a telescope is not required- anybody with solar eclipse glasses will be able to enjoy the eclipse. 

For once, Canton, Ohio has something truly exciting going on, and GlenOak just so happens to be in the perfect spot for a once-in-a-lifetime event.

$516
$500