Wes Marsden’s run to the top

Senior track runner Wes Marsden has had quite a great season this year. He has been running faster, helping the track team have an undefeated record and becoming one of the focal points of the team this year, often placing first in the 800m and the 1600m.

This season has been a substantial improvement for Marsden compared to last season, as he has had a personal best in the 800m and the mile this year. He has also been able to rise in the state rankings, placing 11th in the state for the 800m. Marsden and the team have been elated by the improved performance.

“I’ve been really happy with how I’ve been doing. Compared to last year, I just feel like I’m a lot better, more fit and in shape, and I feel like I’m seeing that in team success because of it,” Marsden said.

The improvement does not come as a surprise to Marsden, as he has been putting in the work to become a better runner in the offseason. 

“In the offseason, I just dedicated myself to running a lot, like even out in the cold, in the winter, I just kept running a lot more. I feel like that’s really what helped me,” Marsden said.

Though Marsden is having plenty of success now, he didn’t always want to run. When he started running in 7th grade, it was actually his mother that made him go to practices, but as he met the people he began to keep going to practices and enjoying the time with his teammates.

“My mom actually forced me to go to some of the summer runs in middle school, but as soon as I showed up, I recognized some people, so I figured just why not go back,” Marsden said.

Track has also helped Marsden outside of the sport. I have taught him many life lessons about working hard in everything that he does to become more successful in his endeavors.

“Just the dedication that’s required to be successful in a sport.  That shows a lot in the classroom, with my class choices, as well as at work, as I show a lot of dedication there too,” Marsden said.

“I started in middle school. In 7th grade I wasn’t the best on the team or anything, but those six years of work paid off,”

— Wes Marsden

This track season has been great for Marsden and it has taught him a lot, but it didn’t come easy. This success has taken a lot of effort on his part over the course of the six years that he has been doing this sport. In the end, track helped Marsden in many ways like meeting new people and creating bonds, but also that the way to gain success is through hard work and dedication.

$516
$500