A new AP art class

A new art class is being added to GlenOak
Lauren Boggs
Junior Owen Ferreri tosses clay during Ceramics 1. “I just get to do something I love,” Ferreri said.

While scheduling classes some students might’ve noticed a few different choices on the list.

Recently, an Advanced Placement 3D Art class was added to the schedule and will be available for the Class of 2025 and up.

Soon to be taught by ceramics teacher Lauren Boggs, it is different from the other IB and AP art classes. 

“When we bring in AP 3D Art, it will include other sculptural elements,” Boggs said. “People will use cardboard, paper, wood and plaster.”

Boggs is hopeful to see other types of materials, such as metal, be utilized as well as traditional ones.  There are still other parts of the class than just the classic materials.

“We have a whole lot of basketry, like weaving three-dimensional textiles,” Boggs said.

At the moment, only six kids are enrolled, but Boggs expects the program will grow as multiple students have already expressed interest.

“All the kids will have a sustained investigation which focuses around an essential question,” Boggs said. “Their essential question is something that they’re going to be able to deep dive into and evolve throughout the course.”

By adding this class, it gives more options to the students who want to do higher types of ceramics classes than just honors.

Owen Ferreri is a student who will be taking the class next school year; it was presented as a concept by Boggs halfway through his first semester of Ceramics I.

“I’m really excited to get out new mediums such as textiles and porcelain carving,” Ferreri said. “There really isn’t a part I’m not excited for.”

There are a lot of new things to learn from the class, and with it being so small, many opportunities to make some new friends. 

“I’m expecting to build an even closer relationship with my peers in the class, and I think I’ll learn a lot of new techniques,” Ferreri said.

This class will be adding fun into the AP curriculum. 

“I think it’s going to be super exciting and just a fun chill class where I get to do my art with no strings attached,” Ferrari said.

$516
$500