Opinion: The importance of art programs and having art in schools

By Daisy Tsaftardies — The arts program has been associated with the Plain Local school district for over 13 years.

The district had Pleasant View School for the arts, which was specifically dedicated as a place for students with a high interest in the arts. Since the closing of PVSA, the arts program has become a bigger deal in all of the schools in the district.

The arts program is more than just art. It is a cluster of many programs such as art, dance, drama, choir and other activities that all work together for productions.

These programs allow students to not only discover their interests, but also showcase their talents.
Also, these programs give students skills that they will be able to use in the future.

“They help build skills for the future by learning how to do things in various ways and also working with others makes you stronger,” art teacher Jill Balderson said.

State Senator Scott Oelslager spent a portion of the day on March 1 with students to speak to them about the importance of the arts program and having arts in the schools.

“Ideally I’d like to have everyone have the arts experience in their schools,” Oelslager said.
No matter what you want to do in life, the arts program can teach skills which can be used in all aspects of life.

“You never know where your path may be lead,” Oelslager said.

The arts program is not only limited in the schools, students also interact with the community on different occasions.

“I have a local artist that works with my students painting a mural that will be installed as permanent art,” Balderson said.

Students also participate in competitions and are working with arts in the parks.
It is with high hopes that the arts program stays in the district to give students the opportunity to further their educations and better themselves to prepare for what the future may bring.

$516
$500