Student joins military

While most students are out partying and spending their days thinking about the weekend students alumni Desmond Carpenter Jr whom graduated in 2014, realized his junior year in high school that he wanted to join the military.

“I wasnt ready for college and I get to see the world for free,” Carpenter said.

During Carpenter’s junior year he decided to join the army, Carpenter claims he was not nervous at all during his senior year to be joining and that he was only excited.

“I’m going to miss close family members, friends that still attend GlenOak and in college, also some of the teachers I had in high school,” Carpenter said.

After the 2014 graduation, Carpenter wanted to spend his summer with his loved ones and friends, so he decided to wait until summer ended and everyone went back to school to be sworn in.

Carpenter talked all about the process of being sworn in.

“First you take a test called Asvab, which only takes a few hours, so it is not long at all. And you have to reach a minimum score to get into each branch,” Carpenter said.

As of Physical shape you need to be able to be be very fit. The army requires a recruit to be able to do 71 push-ups, 78 sit-ups, and run two miles in 13 minutes. Carpenter, when he was in high school was on track and field, placing fourth in the 2014 OHSAA Division One race.

The next step for Carpenter is waiting. Carpenter leaves for basic training on Nov. 18, in Fort Linerwood, Missouri. Carpenter said he was not nervous for basic training, he claimed that he was not nervous because he was great at making new friends.

“I think it’s going to be fun meeting new people,” Carpenter said.

$516
$500