Opinion: Halloween becoming dangerous

By Tori Putman, Staff Writer — Halloween although fun for teenagers and adults, can be life threatening to young trick or treaters. Children on halloween face more dangers than any other holiday alone. It is ten times more likely for children to be struck by a car and killed on Halloween day and night than any other day of the year.

Halloween needs to be recognized more as a danger for children than just harmless fun. While trick or treating seems to be just a fun day for kids to dress up, walk around neighborhoods alone and get free candy; many hidden dangers can surface on Halloween.

Halloween even though most dangerous for younger children, it can also pose as a danger to high schoolers as well. Halloween for teenagers can be filled with inappropriate drugs, drinking and even kidnapping or death. While children are smaller and harder to see for cars, teenagers also are at risk for being struck on halloween day and night. 115 pedestrians under 18 were killed on Oct. 31 over a 21 year period from 1990 to 2010.

Another threat for both teenagers and young children is the risk of tampered candy. Although it is mostly just a folk tale, it has happened. There have been accounts of either poisoned candy or razor blades being added and eaten. About two children deaths have been accounted for on halloween due to poisoned candy. Candy is a huge risk on halloween for the possible poisoning and the obesity crisis our country faces. Some kids do not know when to stop and if have a large bag of candy in front of them, they will more than likely eat as much as possible. It is always a good idea to eat a filling meal before going out to gather your candy during trick or treat.

Halloween can be viewed as a scary day for parents due to threats of child kidnapping and even hit and runs. This can pose as a danger to young kids and even teenagers. It is important to know to never talk to strangers or someone who tries to tempt you to go with them or is aggressive towards you. Young kids should always be accompanied by an adult during trick or treat and teenagers should be reminded of the dangers and risks they could face while out alone.

$516
$500