Art installations show community efforts

By Grace Breedlove, Staff Writer — Art is in the air at GlenOak. Teacher Darla Coppa’s Ceramics I and II classes have been using their talents to further the colorfulness of the school. Currently, the students are waiting to install their coil pots on a totem pole in the Piazza area, in the flower beds. Additionally, they are working on building birdhouses, which will also be displayed.

With the coil pots, the students had to work on their basic hand building skills. First they had to make pinch pots which then progressed into coil pots. This was a part of the Ceramic I curriculum. Coppa found this design and some similar examples on the internet and decided it would be a neat idea for the school.

“Public art communicates ideas and inspires the people who see it,” Coppa said. The coil pots were made by last year’s Ceramic students.

Many people are involved in this process; ceramic students of various ages, classes one and two, teacher Susan Blurton’s Ceramic class at Oakwood, construction students, construction trades teacher Brad Kessler, and principal Tamiko Hatcher. Hatcher is helping out with the funding of the project, he is providing items such as glue, and other materials needed for building. Kessler has also been very involved in the installation process.

“Mr. Kessler is our saving grace,” Coppa said. He has been helping out with all of the construction plans and what materials would work the best outside. All of the ceramic students have been actively involved, by making the coil pots. The installation will also involve the ceramic students and construction students coming together in order to finish this project.

Some construction students set three, three inch PVC posts in the ground and then concreting them each in, with about 80 pounds of concrete.

“Pretty much everything is done, we are just waiting for the pots,” Kessler said.

“The sculpture will enhance the Piazza area along with heightening the communities awareness of art programs in Plain Local,” Coppa said. The totem pole is meant to show creativity, each coil pot is different and that’s what makes the art structure unique. Coppa hopes to continue with more art projects around the school, the birdhouses that Ceramics II and III students are making will be displayed.

“I’m happy that my work will be shown and help liven up the school a bit,” Ceramic I student Sarah Seatter said.

When these students create their own form of art, it brings a sort of satisfying feeling for them, almost unexplainable.

“Displaying the coil sculptures will build confidence within our students about their work,” Coppa said.

The coil pots will be displayed soon, not only helping the ceramic students receive recognition for their work but to help enhance our surroundings.

$516
$500