New spirit club at the school

By Emily Beuter, Opinion Editor — Sports at the high school have excelled this year. The football team went to the second round of playoffs, the girls’ cross country team went to states, the volleyball team vied for the Federal League title and both the girls’ and boys’ soccer teams had better records than they have in previous years. The sports teams’ success created an atmosphere of school spirit.

The student section at all these games were populous and there were even themes for the football games. The school held a pep rally and a parade through the hallways to get students excited for the football games. With all this school spirit, it would make sense to add a spirit club.

“I am very very excited to get the entire school involved to increase school spirit, and to make every branch of extracurricular at the high school shine,” head of the spirit club senior Calley Cessna said.

Spirit club is the newest addition to the clubs and organizations at the high school. Anyone in the school is welcome to join. The club meets every Monday right after school in the lower C commons. They make signs for all clubs, athletics and organizations at the school.

“Anyone is welcome to stop by to make a sign or come decorate the school for their club,” Cessna said.

Cessna not only wants to make signs, but hopes to use the club to rally students to come to more events after school. If anyone has any ideas involving spirit such as themes, event props and other, she would love to hear them.

“Personally I have always been proud of my high school, and I want everyone to feel the same,” Cessna said. “I have been promoting spirit since my freshmen year and now I finally have the chance to take action and help GlenOak shine.”

In collaboration with student council, the spirit club also had free give outs at the football game in the student section. They gave out camo headbands, green and gold medallions, noisemakers, red and white armbands, green and gold pom poms and other items to help cheer on the team. They also took part in decking the school out for the last football game. They made signs, decorated pools and painted windows.

“Everyone put forth work to achieve awesome school spirit that week,” Cessna said.

Cessna hopes to see many more people get involved with their school spirit and welcomes anyone to join.

“We need to advertise and represent the hidden branches of GlenOak so that we can all have even more reasons to be proud,” Cessna said.

$516
$500