School choir is Disney bound

By Brock Herberghs, Staff Writer — School choir is Disney bound.

For the 11th year in a row, the school’s choral department will be attending the Walt Disney World Festival Disney music competition. In past years, the two choral groups, Chorale and Drifters, have placed very well.

“I think it’s an honor to be able to travel all the way to Florida and compete with a group of talented students,” Chorale president Morgan Brown said. “ I went with chorale two years ago and I absolutely loved it. It’s a chance to bond with each other and feel like one big family.”

Each students’ trip costs approximately $1,250. With 63 students attending, each student will need to raise a lot of money. The choir will be holding multiple fundraisers. They are holding bake sales, candy sales and coupon card sales. They will also be having a leaf raking service, and benefit concerts. Something else they are doing to raise money is looking for sponsors. All the money they earn will go toward travel expenses, hotel accommodations, meals, competition fees and don’t forget the park tickets.

“It means a great deal to them. They understand that the Chorale and Drifters are highly regarded in Orlando by the musicians and conductors we will be working with when in Florida,” Choral Department teacher Brian Kieffer said. “Although we will be competing against other schools, it is the experience of working with and learning from these experts that is rewarding.”

The groups will leave on April 15. They will be staying through April 19 at the Rosen Center Convention Center. The competition is April 16. Anytime they aren’t competing they will spend inside of Disney.

“There is nothing like the opportunity to travel with a music group made up of peers and high school friends. These students will create memories that last a lifetime,” Kieffer said. “These advanced and accomplished students see this trip as a reward for all of the work they have done throughout the year not only to develop themselves musically, but also as ambassadors for the school and community.”

The choir is doing everything they can to raise money for students that aren’t financially able to pay for these expenses. The experience of going on a trip with fellow classmates is something these students will never forget.

$516
$500