Tips for buying presents during the holidays

By Graham Hess, Staff Writer — The holiday season is upon us, and everyone seems a little more jolly. If you plan to give a gift to a family member, friend, significant other or a complete stranger, these tips will help anyone win the “Best Gift Given” prize at any Holiday party.

Tip 1: Give by Observation. The best gift-givers are observant people who pay attention to what their loved ones say and are interested in. Consider your recipients circumstance in life; would they like something with a practical use, or a tasteful decoration? Do they need something, like a coat? What are their favorite places to eat or shop? Gift cards are an excellent gift-giving failsafe.

Tip 2: Give by interest or hobby. What do your friends and family like to do? Are they a book-lover, artist, work-out enthusiast or chocolate connoisseur? Giving a gift within their niche is a way to ensure that your recipient will love it, and appreciate your thoughtfulness all the more. But, be careful not to overdo it. Your friend who loves cats probably already has lots of cat trinkets. You’ll have to think outside the box here, like donating money to an animal shelter in their name.

Tip 3: Give with Creativity. A handmade gift shows that you took time out of your day to create something special for someone you care about. The possibilities for DIY gifts are endless, but coupon books, baked goods, handmade cards and crafts are reliable stand-bys. When giving your own special creations, however, it is important to consider the recipient of your gift. Your dad may not appreciate the “Hugs and Kisses” Coupon book as much as someone else would.

Giving gifts is all about generosity and being considerate. No matter what you choose to give someone, they will certainly appreciate it because it came from someone who cares about them. It’s the thought that counts!

$516
$500