Girls soccer prepares for playoffs

By Andrew Butterworth, Staff Writer — This year, the girls soccer team has had a rollercoaster season. They have had their good games that they feel very proud of and even their bad games where they feel like they can do better. But now that is behind them. Now, they are focused on one thing in particular: the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) Girls Soccer State Tournament.

How this tournament is designed is that they start with the district tournament, which you will play against teams that are in your area. If the team wins the district tournament, they will advance to the regional tournament. This part of the state tournament is where you are put into four regions and play other teams that won out of their district (known as the final 16). Then it´s a win or go home type of play. You keep playing until you lose and then your season is done.

The girls soccer team has never won a state soccer championship in all the time we have had a girls soccer team. Head coach Brent Walker really wants his girl to play and fight hard but also to face adversity during this playoff run.

¨I really want my girls to perform to the best of their ability and to keep fighting to win. I want other schools to know who GlenOak girls soccer is¨ said Coach Walker.

The girls overall record is 4-7-1 (4 wins, 7 loses, and 1 tie). But Coach Walker has put that behind them. He wants his girls to think about what is next for them this soccer season.

¨I don’t need them to think about the record we have gotten this year. I want them to think it’s a fresh start for them to show other schools that we do belong in this tournament and that we deserve to go far¨ Walker said.

Form the girl’s perspective, they just want to prepare themselves and they also just want to keep winning and to keep playing in the tournament as long as possible.

¨I just really want our girls to do their part at all times¨. ¨ I feel like that we can do well but each and everyone of us needs to give 100 percent which I know are girls are capable of doing¨. senior midfielder Marissa Demichael said.

The girls also want to show that they can compete at a high level. They have had a very good schedule to prepare themselves to play well in the state tournament. The seniors on the team also would like to end on a good note for there last season as GlenOak soccer players. And remember to show your support for the girls in late October when they begin the state tournament. You can OHSSA.com to stay updated on the girls soccer team as they push to strive for greatness in the gils soccer state tournement.

$516
$500