Boys Golf ends season just short of Districts

By Elizabeth Heimel — When the golf ball is so close to the hole, just one swing and it’s in, yet you miss. Do you think you will make it next time?

The boys golf season ended Tuesday, October 4, close to moving onto districts but coming in 5th place at sectionals, losing against Jackson.

“Just the federal league has gotten stronger and stronger every year, we truly didn’t play our best golf but it was still almost close enough to get us to pine hills,” senior golfer Evan Norris said.

The boys golf team practices 5 times a week with some players practicing on weekends and participating in summer tournaments. Practice consists of two hour range practices, where the players hit, chip, and putt, as well as play small competitive matches against team members to replicate a real competition.

While there were a lot of new players this year, the team still did their best to meet the high expectations of a varsity team.

“The freshman took on the varsity expectations very well and I couldn’t ask for a better team,” Norris said.

Freshman aren’t the only new golfers this year though; some upperclassmen are just starting.

“This is my first year,” senior Jake Allensworth said. “I have high expectations but if I don’t meet them, I’ll understand because it’s my first year, but I hope to do well. It’s a learning process”

While the team didn’t do as well this year, there are high hopes among the team for a great next season.

“We did have a lot of freshman this year and we can only get stronger with knowing the pressure of varsity matches and tournaments,” Norris said.

Some teams are more threatening than others, as Jackson and Green are definitely the ones to look out for this year.

“They’re consistently the best teams and have been for the past couples years,” Allensworth said.

Next season practice doesn’t have many known changes yet, but players are expecting a change in how they play with the change in players’ spirits.

“I think we have a chance to make it to districts, maybe states,” Allensworth said. “With how we play, and compared to other scores, and desires to make it, make it to the next round. With all that we can make something happen”

$516
$500