Homecoming proposal season is back

Homecoming proposal season is back

As the school year begins anew, the Autumn cycle beings: the leaves begin to fall, the Ohio temperatures begin to drop and students cheer loud and proud as the Eagles take the field every Friday night.

Additionally, one of the most anticipated seasons of the year comes as well: Homecoming proposal season.

The history of the homecoming dance itself dates back to the early 20th century, according to Vice’s History of Homecoming article. Originally, the dance was a celebratory event for the first college football game of the season, wherein alumni would return home to their alma maters. From there, the traditions of electing homecoming courts, a celebratory football game, a festive parade complete with floats and finally, the dance itself began and spread across the nation like wildfire in years to come.

Now in the 21st century, the much anticipated event has evolved to include elaborate proposals, usually including a sign with a pun to successfully lock in a date. This has left some students longing for the old days when all it took was just a simple question, while some absolutely adore the modern adaptation.

“It’s always the same thing, a punny phrase on a poster board or a ball of the sport their date plays,” senior Nick Popa said. “I feel if you want to keep the spirit of proposals alive, you need to make them more original and not so cliche. But ultimately, save the big stuff for prom… Nobody is going to look back at their homecoming the same way they look back at their prom.”

Junior Delaney Curran is more neutral on the topic.

“I feel like most of the time they can be pretty cute, but they can get extra very quickly,” Curran said.

However, sophomore Kamaria Montgomery remains optimistic on the topic.

“I think homecoming proposals are cute and well thought out because they’re usually personalized to the person being asked,” Montgomery said. “They seem like they take a lot of time to come up with the ideas and posters too.”

No matter where one lies on the subject, the proposals are bound to return every year just as the leaves begin changing, the temperatures begin dropping and the Eagles begin scoring.

$516
$500