Drama class becomes Career Tech

Drama class becomes Career Tech

Drama students dedicate a great deal of time to their craft, more than a lot of people realize. That being said, the Drama program here has gone on for the long time being a series of regular classes. Now, the program is finally getting an important distinction.

This fall, Drama officially became a Career Tech program, going under the name Theater Arts starting next school year. The program, headed by teacher Amy Sima-Dirham, already has a multi-level curriculum structure, so it should have a smooth transition in to being a Career Tech.

In fact, the current Drama I course will continue as a regular introductory course, with the actual Career Tech consisting of Drama II, Drama III and Drama IV.

“We are trying to keep the structure similar to the past years so that any student can take the introductory Drama classes so that they don’t get intimidated by the Career Tech right off the bat,” Sima-Dirham said.

Much of the material taught will stay the same, including acting, set design, script analysis, musical theater and much more content packed in to three to four years of high school.

Though the class transition has been smooth, it was not easy becoming a Career Tech in the first place.

“To be a Career Tech, not only do you have to have a Career Tech license, we also need to put in place advisory committees and update class enrollment every month,” Sima-Dirham said.

Now, the program is making more of an effort to appeal to the professional world and prepare students to find jobs in the theater industry after high school.

The classes still run 90 minutes; however, it is much more in depth. Seniors are required to make a capstone web site, a portfolio, a resume, a show reel and perform a senior showcase that will be performed in front of talent agents.

“From previous years it has improved tremendously,” senior Keenan Carosielli said. “They will be more enriched for life after high school.”

The new Career Tech lines up with Plain Local’s initiative to improve their arts programs, and looks to train new performance artists for years to come.

“Students will not only be productive, but competitive in the performing arts market,” Sima-Dirham said.

Anyone looking to join should look out for Career Tech request forms next school year.

$516
$500