Why the hybrid schedule needed to go

The Covid-19 Pandemic has put a strain on the education system. Schools are exploring different learning options to keep their students safe, while giving them a proper education. GlenOak’s hybrid schedule made sense on paper, but proved to be difficult for many students and teachers. 

Last week, it was announced that the high school would return to full time face-to-face learning on Oct. 12. 

This announcement led to an outpouring of criticism from the community. Almost immediately after news broke, students let out their frustrations on social media. The main concern is that an increase of students in the building would be dangerous and make it difficult to social distance. 

Many teachers were also frustrated by news, as they were given no prior information before the announcement. 

Critics also argue that the school should not change the schedule considering COVID-19 cases are dramatically increasing in our community. The volleyball and boys soccer teams both were quarantined for COVID-19 exposures. In addition, Stark County recently entered a COVID-19 ‘red zone’ according to Gov. Mike Dewine however, the county has since moved to orange. 

A petition titled ‘Keep the GlenOak hybrid schedule’ started gaining momentum. The online petition created by an anonymous student gained over 1,400 signatures in less than four days. It urges the school board to reverse their decision.

The overwhelming support for the hybrid schedule is undoubtedly due to the flexibility it gives to students. Under a hybrid schedule, students are only attending school in person for 14-21 hours per week, compared to 35 hours per week normally. During online days, students are able to sleep in as long as they want and complete their work on their time. 

This system can be very beneficial to some students. However, students who lack time management skills or those who find it hard to concentrate at home can quickly fall behind with a hybrid schedule. 

This system also limits students from being able to directly ask their teachers questions and get feedback. Courses, such as a foreign language, which require repetition are difficult to teach without face-to-face instruction.

Some concerns about social distancing with twice the amount of students in the building are justified. However, schools that go full time are not experiencing severe outbreaks like skeptics fear. 

Jackson High School, which attends full time and has a similar population to GlenOak, has only two reported COVID-19 cases according to the Department of Health. Hoover High School, which also attends five days a week, has four reported cases.

Other schools in our community have proven that attending five days a week does not pose a dangerous threat to spreading COVID-19. Despite the luxuries a hybrid schedule gives students, the school made the right decision in going full time.

$516
$500