Snow doubt about it

We all know the feeling. It has been snowing the whole night. Fresh, powdery flakes fall from the sky and coat the ground in an endless white. Whistling wind whips around the trees, rustling the barren branches and banging shutters. Slick icicles dangle from every surface, glistening in the morning sun. 

And you have to get up and go to school. 

For decades, snow days have been a rare treat to students and teachers alike. This school year GlenOak received two extra days off in our busy schedule. 

Among the snowier states, they will spare no expense in securing the following day off school. The night preceding a supposed snow storm, families find themselves doing some wacky rituals in order to be able to sleep in the next day. 

“Not my homework, that’s for sure,” sophomore Jacob Harms said when asked about what he does on the night before an alleged snow day. 

This seems to be a common theme among students, with many banking on a day off school putting off their work until the following day.

A common tradition is to wear one’s pajamas inside out. Some believe that this originated in the state of New Jersey with the mindset that wearing your pajamas backwards will shift the atmosphere. 

“I wear my jammies backwards,” senior Emma Knisley said. “I always have.”

Another popular tradition is the classic spoon-under-the-pillow trick. This actually comes from an old tale of putting a knife under a woman’s pillow when she is in labor in order to cut the pain. Any spoon will do: wooden, metal, even plastic. 

“I use the kind you eat with,” junior Shayne Swartz said. “The metal ones work the best.”

Flushing ice cubes down the toilet is also a favored one. Some say that it is best to do one cube for every inch of snow you’re hoping for. Others argue that you should do a cube for every day. Some believe that you should throw the ice cubes outside, and the higher and further you throw them, the higher the chance of a snow day.  

“Everyone loves a day off school,” junior Maddy McCarthy said. “My snow day traditions are flushing ice cubes out the toilet and throwing some outside.” 

McCarthy believes that her ice cube traditions ensure that she won’t have to wake up to the sound of her alarm the next morning. 

Some individuals have some rather unique traditions for the night before. Freshman Adam Crowder has a rather interesting approach in ensuring that there will be no school the next day, one that involves fresh flakes… and urine. 

“[I] pee in the snow,” Crowder said. 

He was then asked if he meant he, too, put ice cubes in the toilet. 

“No,” Crowder said. “I literally pee in the snow.” 

Crowder, who lives on a farm, has plenty of extra snow and area for his tradition. But, knowing Crowder, it might be less of a snow day tradition and more of an excuse not to have to go all the way to the bathroom. 

Junior Marianthi Halkias is another student with an unusual snow day ritual. 

“I sleep with a snowflake hat next to my bed,” Halkias said. “It’s good luck for a snow day the next day.”

Her snowflake hat has been bringing her this good luck for snow days all the way from when she used to live in Pennsylvania. She has brought the tradition to Ohio with her, and it is here to stay. 

Once the day is actually called off, there are many activities people tend to do on snow days. A common theme that everyone seems to agree upon is that snow days equal comfy days. Warm pajamas, hot drinks, and soft blankets seem to be universal among everyone. 

“My favorite thing to do is make hot cocoa and snuggle with a blanket and read,” Halkias said. 

Knisley also agrees with this idea of spending the day indoors, away from the bitterness, is ideal. 

“I try to say in my jammies all day long,” Kinsley said. “It’s too cold outside.”

Others prefer to embrace the wintry weather and play outside in the snow. 

“I like to go sledding,” Crowder said. “But, you know, not in the same spot I peed in.” 

There are plenty of hills nearby in Canton, such as First Friends church, Warstler Elementary, and basically anywhere with an incline that are perfect for sledding down on those days where the roads are too bad to come into school. Building ramps and snowmen can be a great way to pass the time. 

With this new warm weather, we might not have any snow days left. But now you’re prepared for next year’s winter, there is snow doubt about it.

$516
$500