Hallway Artists

Hallway+Artists

Almost everyone has noticed the art showing up in the hallways. But do we really know why it’s there? 

All these wonderful art pieces are being displayed by none other than the art students at GlenOak.

Art teachers Jill Balderson, who teaches Enriched Art I, and Darla Coppa, who teaches the ceramics classes, are displaying their students’ work throughout the upper main hallways and even the A-wing, C-wing and D-wing offices. 

In the ceramics department, pieces are chosen based on their craftsmanship, creativity, originality and their clay technique. 

“I am not changing anything out this year because of Covid,” Coppa said. “ In a normal year yes, we would change them out every nine weeks.” 

Coppa says that they can display as many ceramic pieces that they want, but of course there is a process for this. 

For the enriched art classes, the processes are a little different. Balderson typically tries to select the strongest pieces in the classes that she has, and this strength is determined by scoring on the students mark bands and rubrics. 

“Classes conduct a verbal critique when each portfolio piece is produced. I score the students using the rubric during the class critique. Afterwards, the highest scored works are selected for display,” Balderson said. 

Unlike the ceramics class, enriched art changes out their displays more often. 

“I try to post student work after every class critique, typically I post the 9th graders student work in the D-wing office where their peers and teachers can acknowledge their work.” Balderson said. “This year, however, there are SO many talented artists in Enriched Art 1 classes so I don’t have enough room to just post their work in the D-wing office!” 

The art in the hallways have even put a positive impact on the students who pass by it everyday. The participants were asked what they thought about the art being in the hallways, and this was their responses. 

“I think that it’s a great opportunity to display the talent that the students of GlenOak have, and it makes you more aware of what’s going on in the building,”

Senior, Katie Scrimo said.

“I like that it’s there, I think it’s nice that when you walk through the hallways you get to see what other students have done, and it’s really cool to look at,” Freshman, Sofia Codispoti said.

The participants were also asked what their favorite piece was out of all the ones that they’ve seen. 

“I really like the one of the dog,” Codispoti said. “I think it’s in the main hallway up by upper B.”  

This just goes to show that your favorite art piece doesn’t have to have an intricate design or has to be extravagant, it can just be something plain and simple while still being a good piece of art. 

“I really like some of the pieces by William Ramjohn,” Scrimo said.  “they are amazing because he had them on different canvases but they all told a different story.”

As a former art student herself, Scimo was glad she took a Ceramics class her freshman year. 

“I’ve always loved art and creativity is one of my passions. I loved the class and it was one of my favorites throughout my high school career.” Scrimo said.

Taking Ceramics isn’t the most popular art form which is why Scrimo decided to take the class to begin with, so that she could try out a different art form.

For those wondering if Ceramics is the art class for you, then Scrimo has a tip for you. 

“If I could give any tips it would definitely be to not let your creativity be stifled and to think outside the box when given assignments.” Scrimo said. 

The GlenOak art students have brighten up people’s days while they’re walking past in the halls, and hopefully they’ll be even more great works to come.

$516
$500