Junior engineering class plans student changes

“Getting lunch at school is the most bothersome part of the school day,” junior Ashlee Beeching said.

Beeching did not say this because of the food itself, but because of the long process of waiting in an unorganized “line” for what could be up to 10 to 15 minutes for a school lunch. This leaves students 15 minutes to eat their food.

“The lines are unorganized, as well as the process of receiving the food itself. Students cut, run and push to avoid the line and messy process at the serving areas to have enough time to enjoy their food,” Beeching said.

The junior engineering career class is attempting to make the course of getting lunch at school more efficient.

“I came up with the idea for this project from occasionally having lunch duty and hearing students complain about going to lunch for the past couple years,” Engineering teacher Jim Walbeck said.

Walbeck came up with the idea to assign students a project that would hopefully change the way the lunchroom is laid out and ran.  The students must observe the lunchroom during third period and record the problems that they see. After they observe they must come up with reasonable changes to the cafeteria. They will present their ideas in a power point.

“By observing the cafeteria I noticed that by fourth lunch students would have to wait to receive a tray for their food because they were not clean yet,” junior Celene Lenartowiz said.

This gave Lenartowiz the idea to create a conveyor belt that would start where the trays are dropped off by a trash can, and continue until the trays reach the scullery (W-213A), where the trays are then cleaned. This would make cleaning the trays much easier but the cost of the conveyor belt is out of the school’s budget.  The cost of the conveyor belt is so expensive because the piping would have to be rearranged and a wall would have to be completely knocked out.

Juniors Preston Elavsky and Jose Garcia realized that the vending machines located by the cafeteria are a problem so they came up with the idea to move them to where the concession stand is located.

“You just can not get through the hallway with the vending machines there, it makes getting condiments difficult and simply getting to a lunch table harder,” Elavsky said.

After all of the students have presented their presentations, the class will come together and pick out the best ideas. They are then going to send in these ideas to the administration.

“I am hoping that they pay attention to these ideas and really consider them,” Walbeck said.

$516
$500