Unique styles at discounted prices are found at second-hand stores

Finding unique pieces of clothing that match a student’s individual style is easier by shopping at thrift stores. Second-hand clothing shops provide a variety of options from vintage apparel to trendy fits and with the willingness to look can be easy to find.

“I think that you can find really interesting stuff if you really look for it,”  sophomore Alexandra Salvino said. 

Thrifting’s popularity has grown in high school students and instead of seeing thrifting as a low-quality way of getting clothing it has become a trending hobby. Stores like Encore, Goodwill and Clothes Mentor have become popular places for teens to buy inexpensive second-hand clothing. 

Depending on the types of clothes that are donated they are like 60% cheaper than what they originally were.

— Clover Greaning-Curry

Teenagers often do not have money to purchase clothing at stores that are considered popular. Thrifting allows for teens to find those popular brands at lower prices.

“One of the pros is definitely finding brands that could be really expensive like a sweater that originally was $60 and it’ll be $10 at a thrift store,” Greaning- Curry said.

Having the freedom of expression is important and second-hand clothing stores give greater accessibility to outfits that give people the opportunity to show their personalities. 

“Everyone donates there so you have so many options based on your style,” sophomore Madison Welch said. 

Stores that sell donated clothing give customers more options for variety which is one reason thrifting is enjoyable.

“Shopping is a unique experience at these kinds of stores because you don’t find the same thing over and over again that are price sensitive in a positive way,” Paula Tscholl Bennett, one of the owners of Encore Resale Consignment said.

Second-hand clothing shops give people in the community a chance to recycle clothing that they no longer wear. This helps people empty out their closets and lets others buy the clothes.

“Instead of people throwing out stuff they don’t want anymore, they donate it, I think it helps a bit with keeping the earth clean,” junior Sarah Zwich said.

Fast fashion companies like Forever 21, Shien, and Romwe, produce over 92 million tons of waste every year, so donating and shopping second-hand keeps clothing waste from piling up in landfills.

“We are all into recycling and doing what we can to help the planet stay strong. The clothes are recycled instead of ending up in a dumpster,” Bennett said.

Buying clothes at stores like Encore often allows people to get more for less.

“In the regular store, I pay $50 to $100 for a nice thick sweater while at a thrift store I could get the same exact thing for maybe $30,” English teacher Kristen Misbrener said.

The variety of options, inexpensive cost, and opportunity to recycle are a few of the reasons that the popularity of second-hand stores has grown and why thrifting and buying second-hand continues to be a popular alternative for big clothing brands.

For more fashion stories click here.