Parking lot problems

GlenOak+parking+lot+number+696+which+is+sold+for+%2450.++Each+student+is+required+to++pay+the+same+amount+for+parking+spaces.+

GlenOak parking lot number 696 which is sold for $50. Each student is required to pay the same amount for parking spaces.

GlenOak is known for a lot of things, but a good parking lot is not one of them. Drivers often complain about how awful it is, but are their complaints valid? As a sophomore with a license that parks in said parking lot five out of seven days a week, I can assure you that my fellow drivers complaints are absolutely, positively, 100% percent valid. Here is why: 

THE NOT NEEDED NEED FOR SPEED

The speed limit in GlenOak’s parking lot is 10 MPH, on a good day. Now, it is understood that the school can not control the actions of the driver behind the wheel, but adding traffic monitors to help regulate the parking lot would surely be an improvement. For those that park further away, getting to their car once school is let out is equivalent to playing Crossy Road in real life. Monitors throughout the parking lot would allow for the trip to be a bit less nerve-wracking as they would be protecting students from the natural negligence and need for speed a young driver possesses. But, trust me fellas, that girl is not impressed by you speeding in a Subaru. 

THE SNOW HAS BEGUN 

Snow in Ohio is like butter on toast; they are meant for each other. The winter months tend to be pretty brutal in this midwestern state, which drastically affects how even the most skilled driver operates his or her vehicle. Now, picture a parking lot filled to the brim with both snow and unskilled (teenage) drivers. Not too pretty, right? Well, this is the reality for GlenOak’s parking lot every winter. 

The absolutely massive lot is neglected and never cleared after snowfall, making an even bigger mess out of an already messy situation. Not only can drivers not see their parking spot, they also have to be extremely cautious of themselves and other drivers, even more than they normally would have to be. Taking a turn a little too fast or breaking just a bit too late are both common mistakes that, if handled well, can be played off.  However, adding loads of snow to the mix can turn these ‘happy little accidents’ into tragedies. Keep in mind, those that have just earned their license might have never driven in this type of weather before, making the experience even more overwhelming. Snow may be the butter to Ohio’s toast, but to a car operated by a high school student, it is their kryptonite. 

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR…KIND OF

“You get what you pay for,” is something almost everyone has heard. The price of the purchased item will reflect the quality, except if it is a spot in GlenOak’s parking lot. All parking permits, ranging from spot 1-723, cost the same amount, $50.  When a student with a parking spot number in the triple digits is paying the same amount as a student that is just outside Door 17. Clearly, there is an issue. 

There is no disputing that the closer the spot is to the entrance of the building, the more valuable it becomes. The further the student is from the building, the more they have to walk. This, in truth, does not seem like that big of a deal. But, when factors such as rain, personal belongings (instruments, athletic gear, ect.), and irresponsible drivers are added, it enhances the evident issue. 

When parking spots become available before the school season starts, it is absolutely the student’s responsibility to purchase a parking spot they believe is appropriate for their needs. However, with that in mind, parking spots are given by grade level, starting with seniors. And, because those close spots are so valuable, they are gone by the time juniors are able to purchase a pass.  So, why should someone pay a gourmet price for a leftover meal? 

There is no doubt that GlenOak’s parking lot needs major improvements. Not only for convenience, but for safety. Though these problems seem dire, they have simple solutions that can be easily achieved. The hardest part is taking action, which, considering the consequences, should be taken sooner rather than later. These issues are not exclusive to GlenOak, though. The same can be said for many other parking lots across the country, as well. According to www.rideplusdrive.com, the most common car for a new driver is the Toyota Corolla, but if high school parking lots do not up their safety game, it is going to be an ambulance.