Meet sophomore English teacher Jessica Broa

Sophomore English teacher, Jessica Broa, is known for her fun personality and relaxed way of teaching. Her classroom reflects her personality through its warm tones and welcoming atmosphere. 

Broa knew she wanted to be a teacher from a young age. In her senior year of high school she wanted to go to college to teach Spanish. However, that did not play out the way she thought it would. 

“My father applied for college for me during my senior year of high school. At the time, I actually wanted to teach Spanish,” Broa said. “He saw the major

“Integrated Language Arts” on Kent State University’s page and thought that it meant the integration of two languages. When I showed up for orientation, I found out that I was actually in the program to teach English Language Arts.”  

She could have switched her education over to her preferred career path, but she knew she was going down the path meant for her. 

“I shrugged my shoulders and thought to myself that maybe it was meant to be– and I would say that it was,” Broa said. 

Being a teacher is not without its challenges. According to Broa, the biggest challenge for her is teaching what could be considered “boring” lessons. 

“I would not say that there are downfalls for being an English teacher. I honestly love what I do, despite difficult days or not-as-exciting lessons about writing in MLA format,” Broa said. 

Throughout her career, there have been many moments where her hard work has paid off as a teacher. 

“One moment that happens every so often is when a student who has been struggling finally has what I like to call the “lightbulb moment,” Broa said. “I love to see my students grow as learners, but also socially and emotionally.”

Broa is willing to do anything for her students and takes pleasure in mentoring them through their hardships. Many students choose to come to her classroom and spend their free periods with her to talk or just be near her. 

“I take pride in being able to choose kindness no matter what my students may be going through,” Broa said. “This has taken hard work of not only my academic studies with my bachelor’s and master’s degree, but also hard work of how I handle situations day-to-day.” 

Mrs. Broa makes sure to give herself time to do the things she loves so she can give her all at school. 

“In my free time, I enjoy going to the gym to workout and cooking healthy meals for myself and my husband,” Broa said. “I also enjoy spending time with my friends, family and my cat, Sebastian.” 

As can be imagined, she loves to read when she has spare time. Broa answered the most common question all English teachers are asked: what is your favorite book? 

“I have loved many books, but one stand-out novel to me is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger,” Broa said. “It addresses the concerns of people’s desires to have a static, or unchanging, reality in a world based on impermanence.” 

She also appreciates books with adolescent heroines who face the challenges of growing up head on. 

“I love coming-of-age stories as they not only guided me as a teen, but they have the ability to stay relevant over generations,” Broa said.

Broa is passionate about her students and what she teaches. She hopes to give all students new perspectives to look at the world and encourages them to share their opinions and treat everyone with kindness, because at the end of the day, we are all living together and going through the same challenges together.