Senior golfer qualifies for State tournament

By Morgan Steinbach — Senior Trevor Stan is the first golfer since 2003, to make it to the Division I statewide championship competition on Oct. 19 and 20.

Stan competed against 72 other golfers at the Ohio State University Golf Course in Columbus, Ohio. He was accompanied by most of his team, including his coach Chris Schorsten. By going to the tournament, the team had a chance to watch a match on a professional green.

The Scarlet Golf Course is a regulation length course as determined by the United State Golf Association (USGA) . It features 7,300 yards total of all the pars, starting from the tee off point to the 18th hole.

“Everything in Columbus was very strict and professional. The putting green and driving range were roped off from spectators, just like on the PGA tour,” Stan said.

Schorsten also commented that the course was at a championship level and the greens were very long and difficult.

Not only was the course intimidating but so were the other golfers and onlookers.

“Everything was so intense. Even if you weren’t nervous, you could still feel the pressure,” Stan said.

Even though going to state was not on Stan’s agenda at the beginning of this golfing season, he realized he was able to make it on the last few holes of the district tournament. He decided to play his own game and not focus on winning or losing, and he was able to proceed to the state tournament.

Stan prepared greatly before going to the competition by practicing for about four hours a day, regardless of the weather.  Stan often spent time with his uncle, Mike Monastra, an avid golfer, while on the green. Even throughout the regular season, Stan came to his uncle for his opinions about what he did well and what could have been improved.

“The person I thank most is my Uncle Mike. He is my swing coach and my hero. Without him I wouldn’t be where I am today,” Stan said.

Overall, Stan has seen that his hard work, starting in 6th grade, has paid off. Although it took a lot of determination and focus, Stan can see the positive effects of the practice. The opportunity for him to go to a state tournament was the best experience of his life so far.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better ending to my high school career,” Stan said.

Going to the state tournament helped captivated a stellar golf career.

$516
$500