A new softball season

By Carson Tillis — The softball team has their first win of the season, and the season has only just begun. The team made it to the championship game in the Spano Dome winter league and placed second in the tournament.

To the players, placing second in this tournament was big after finishing last year with a record of 0-25.
New coach Mike Heggy wants to work on team building for the upcoming season.

“Goals for the year are to be more positive and competitive since the players now know what they can do as a team,” Coach Mike Heggy said. “We have to change things around, respect each other, and be more committed to yourself and the team,” Heggy said.

The team has been in the weight room lifting and getting themselves in shape for the regular season. The team has a large freshman class, which makes them a young team.

“We have a lot of new, young girls coming in that know a lot about softball and will make us better,” senior Lauren Anderson said.

Coach Heggy has been working hard to show what they can really do as a team, giving them a new aspect on the game from last year.

“We got a new coach that has been working to improve a lot of the players with new drills and new rules,” senior Lauren Anderson said

The veterans of the team admit that their coach is really starting to grow on each one of them.

“I’m so pumped for the regular season to start and to show every team what we are really about. They are in for a rude awakening,” junior Abby Strobelt said.

The show they put on in the winter tournament that they competed in shows a great amount of hope for when the regular season starts.

$516
$500