GlenOak receives top honor

GlenOak High School makes U.S. News and World report list due to many college readiness classes

Every year a list comes out that decides the role of education in the United States. This is not a cast list for Newsies, but rather the U.S. News & World Report’s list of the top high schools in the United States. 

For the last 10 years, GlenOak has been on the list and the school achieved the honor again in 2023. 

Schools are chosen through a list of criteria; including college readiness, state assessment proficiency, students who are underserved, college-preparatory courses and graduation rate. 

Dr. Jill Collet is the curriculum director for the high school, Collet is highly involved in training teachers to help prepare educators for any new curriculum the school selects. Collet also plays an integral role in helping decide the books and materials used for the classrooms and curriculum. 

“GlenOak always strives to offer the highest number of opportunities for our students where they can excel and prepare them for the future. A huge part of this is college readiness. The AP and IB courses play a big part in our overall ranking,” Collet said. 

To continue to remain one of the best schools in the nation, GlenOak continues to invest in more IB and AP classes to truly ensure students are prepared for post-high school opportunities. 

“So the data for this year’s rankings is actually based off of data from 2021, and really we’ve expanded our college-readiness programs since then; we’ve put in place even more AP and IB curriculum,” Collet said. “I’m excited to see how we’re going to continue to grow, and truly the students and teachers are the driving force behind our numbers going up. They continue to strive for excellence.”

As the report continues to rank schools annually the growth and progress made by students and educators will be highlighted. 

It may not be the list that decides who gets Jack or Katherine, but it showcases the hard work of students, administrators and educators alike. 

$516
$500