Freshmen on track team end season with strong standings

By Olivia Holland — The 2011-2012 track team is finishing up the season with a three for three win for both the boy’s and the girl’s teams for Dual Meets. These accomplishments are due partly to the talent of the freshmen.

“The freshman this year have been great,” hurdles coach Jason Jarvis said. ”They have a fantastic work ethic and are fun to be around. I am excited to be able to work with them for the next three years.”

Participating in hurdles are Allissa Bury, Kyle Hall, Dillon Phillips, and Mary Kuntzman. Jumping in the Federal League JV 110 meter hurdles, Hall placed first place with a time 16.6 seconds. He also placed third place in the 300-meter hurdles, while Phillips placed in the top five in the 300 meter and 110 meter runs. Bury also played in varsity meets, participating in the 300 and 100 meter hurdles.

“I think we did really well this year,” freshmen Marian Beavers said. “We had a lot of good rumors this year.”

Running the mile distance event, Beavers achieved a personal record with a time of 6.32 seconds and ran the 800 in 2.52 seconds. Even though the freshmen are the youngest on the team, they have bonded with the upperclassmen.

“We’ve just kind of grouped with all the age groups,” Beavers said. “We run together, and sing together”

The girls’ track team defeated McKinley High School with a score of 98-39 and Lake with a score of 112-25. In the JV Federal League, they placed second place out of six teams. The boys’ track team defeated Hoover with a score of 93-44 and also defeated Lake with a score of 109-28. They placed first out of 11 teams in the Bedford “Kimberly Relays” and third in the JV Federal League.

“It was a good season,” freshman Brad Miller said. “There were a lot of events for everyone on the track team. Everyone was pleased with their performance overall.”

$516
$500