Standarized testing is back

Colleges and univeristies may begin to retire SAT and ACT scores on college applications again
Addison Wood
Guidance counselor Kristen Zurbach talks with junior Alex Watlz about scheduling decisions and future plans.

The ACT, a test dreaded by high school students across the country. Getting a good score was once seen as do or die for students’ chance at their dream school.  But with test-optional admissions becoming the norm, gone are the days of students fretting over whether they will get into their dream school based on their ACT or SAT score. But now we must look to the future and examine the possibility of standardized testing coming back.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, many schools suspended the requirement of SAT and ACT scores to be submitted on college applications due to testing opportunities being canceled. This prompted many colleges to consider whether or not requiring test scores disadvantaged low-income students. A majority of schools came to the conclusion that requiring test scores disadvantaged low-income students as those students do not have the financial means to pay for extra tutoring for the ACT and SAT. Resulting in over 80% of colleges not requiring standardized test scores on college applications.

But with the Covid-19 pandemic coming to an end, colleges are beginning to reevaluate their decision to go test-optional.

On Feb. 5, Dartmouth became the first Ivy League school to reinstate ACT and SAT requirements for college admissions. Dartmouth came to this decision after conducting an internal study, finding test scores are a better predictor of student success and by going test-optional they disadvantaged low-income students. With Dartmouth reinstating testing requirements, students are left to wonder if more colleges will begin to make the same decision.

Senior Assistant Dean at Cleveland State University Kristy Tokarczyk believes that for now, students will only have to worry about standardized testing requirements if they plan to attend an elite university like Dartmouth.

“At this point, it is only highly selective universities that are starting to re-implement a testing requirement,” Tokarzycyk said. “At institutions less selective, I suspect there may be less of an appetite to return to required testing.”

Junior Ava Motz has been preparing for the ACT and college in general, planning to take the test on Feb. 27. But she hopes that her scores won’t have an impact on her college application.

“I think that elite universities are the only colleges that should be requiring test scores and since I’m not planning on applying to any of those I hope that the majority of less selective schools remain test-optional,” Motz said.

However for students planning to apply to selective schools, these admission requirements could apply to grades as early as the current junior high school class. Dartmouth’s admission changes apply to the class of 2029 (current high school juniors). What that means for GlenOak juniors who are preparing for their state supplied ACT on Feb. 27 is that their scores now could have the possibility to dictate their chances of getting accepted into their colleges of choice.

Students at GlenOak are not fans of that possibility, with 83% of GlenOak students preferring colleges to stay test-optional according to a poll conducted by The Eagle.

Tokarzcyk agrees with the students, believing that being test-optional provides greater opportunities to lower-income students.

“I believe that test-optional schooling has a positive impact on students from a low socio-economic class as the money for tutoring, preparation classes, the test fees, are all costs that many students can’t afford and thus standardized tests give those students at a disadvantage compared to wealthier students,” Tokarzcyk said.

But GlenOak college admission counselor Kristen Zurbuch disagrees, believing that standardized tests allow for academic talent to be discovered in lower-income areas.

“Colleges like Dartmouth are starting to look at ACT scores of students compared to the average ACT score of their school. So for GlenOak our average ACT score is 18.5, so while a student’s ACT score of 25 might not seem stellar, for their conditions they are thriving. Which puts academic potential on the map of colleges,” Zurbuch said.

In Zurbuch’s opinion, the ACT and SAT are what allow colleges to find that academic potential even in lower-income schools as it find students who are more academically gifted than their peers even if their scores may seem less impressive on a national scale. This is a huge benefit for GlenOak students, Zurbuch believes.

“GlenOak isn’t a rich private high school that is a feeder school to elite universities and many of our students fall under the lower income bracket. But standardized testing allows for academic talent to be found amongst all demographics of students,” Zurbuch said.

Overall, standardized test requirements are out of student’s control. So students must be prepared for the ACT and SAT to be required in the future and how they will submit their scores. Zurbuch has some advice for students preparing for this possibility. 

“With the possibility of test scores coming back, my best advice would be to take advantage of the classes you’re already enrolled in and get the most out of the content you’re learning. That in my opinion is the best tool to study for the ACT or the SAT,” Zurbuch said.

Tokarzcyk believes even if schools don’t begin to require ACT and SAT scores, students should still be aware of how they can use their score for their benefit.

“I recommend reaching out to college admissions officers to find out how scores are used and what is the average score in order to make an informed decision on whether or not your ACT or SAT score will benefit your college application,” Tokarcyzk said.

Although to the dread of students, standardized testing requirements may be back. So students must be prepared for the future in order to navigate this increasingly complex college application world.

$516
$500