May Show is this weekend

Choirs practice all week to put on a memorable show
A+scene+from+last+years+May+Show+Night+at+the+Museum.++This+years+May+Show+is+entitled+Hooray+for+Hollywood.+
Kayla Zasek
A scene from last year’s May Show Night at the Museum. This year’s May Show is entitled Hooray for Hollywood.

The turn of the season brings multiple things, bugs, diseases, pollen and the well-awaited May Show.  The theme was announced early April and the theme is Hooray for Hollywood.

This May Show will be different from last year’s Night at the Museum theme, there is no story and no characters like the shows before. However, there will still be incredible singing and well-choreographed dancing. It will just be more along the lines of a concert than a musical featuring all time favorite Hollywood songs. This will still be an incredible show as Brian Keifer, the choir director, wants students to understand.

“There is nothing really new about it, other than  its different than last year, and probably will be different from next year,” said Choir director Brian Keifer 

“Some years it’s more conducive to do more of a musical review… so still as entertaining,(and) still as great for all the students involved,” Keifer said

While this may be against the norm for what is commonly thought of when you think of a May Show, Keifer and Meese have created more concert-style shows before.

“We actually did a Hollywood theme in 1996 and 2007, so it’s not a completely brand new theme, ” Keifer said

When it comes to writing a May Show the process is often written around what level of skill the choirs are at and who is involved in the choirs. Some shows are so centered around a choir group that the stars would have to perfectly align to create a show like it again.

“I write them a lot of times according to the students that I have and that I know I will be working with and so I like writing according to them and of course once those students are gone, it’s a whole new group of people,” Keifer said

With May Show comes a lot of practice times.  The week leading up to the show students have been practicing until 7 p.m.

This has taught many students a good balance between what they love doing, choir, and what is required of them, school work. With the fourth nine weeks being incredibly stressful, due to all the major tests during this period, having something to look forward to at the end of the day can give students a motivator to get through the day. 

It is also something that is a reason to get through the year. Students wait so long to hear about what the theme will be and the excitement over this year’s theme is no different. Especially due to the fact that this was a May show that hadn’t been done since 2007 so almost nobody knows what to expect. But due to the exciting ideas for costumes, the songs that our parents will definitely be yelling along, and the excitement for new memories means that this May Show will be one to remember.

$516
$500