COVID-19 human testing

pictured above: Jennifer Haller (first clinical trial volunteer)

The coronavirus has been the biggest crisis the U.S. has seen since WWII.  But as all of us have been staying home in self isolation, doctors and scientists have been working hard trying to find a vaccine by testing out different cures for other viruses observing the effects it has on COVID-19.

Seattle, Washington was chosen for coronavirus human testing trials before there were any known cases in the United States. There are currently more than 327,253 confirmed cases in the United States. 

The main goal of the first trials is to discover if the vaccine is safe before trying to see if it’s effective. If the results are safe then research and studies will determine whether it’s effective.

The first clinical trials began in early March, In the following weeks 45 participants received varying doses of the vaccine, then their second dose 28 days later. As of March 27 there are currently 44 studies and more than 40 potential vaccines in the works.

The first volunteer to test the coronavirus vaccine is 43 year old Jennifer Haller, from Seattle. ¨All of us, I know we feel so helpless like what can we do? And I’m so excited that there was actually something that I could do¨, said Jennifer in an interview with MSNBC News.

However, some think that this is not a great idea due to the rapid spread of the virus.

“I think the scientists could have found another way to test the vaccine without using them on people, but if people do it by choice and they know what they’re getting into I guess I can’t say it’s wrong” said sophomore Malia Anderson.

¨No, I don’t think this will help because the numbers will keep rising and the virus will keep spreading¨ said citizen Ramza Boutros.

The vaccine uses messenger RNA however, which means that no participants will be exposed to the virus, making sure it does not spread. The participants will have side effects and symptoms similar to ones we might experience from the flu.

Due to this, the participants are able to stay with their families and in the comfort of their homes. They must log their daily activity and have a follow up every week to update the researchers.

¨We still do believe that this will take about a year or so to be able to be available to the public,¨ said epidemiologist Anne Remioin at an interview with MSNBC News. ¨We need to be putting our energy into social distancing, to making sure that hospitals are not overloaded, and that everybody does their part to be able to slow the spread of this virus.¨

With the help of the trials and the research being collected about the coronavirus or COVID-19 , we can only hope to find a vaccine to end this pandemic. But until then, we must continue to self isolate and wash our hands.

$516
$500