Bonjour, it’s the French Club

You walk into the cozy atmosphere of the French Club, the smell of pumpkin spice in the air. People gather around to set out an amazing display of French foods and the smells all mix together to create an altogether friendly environment. 

French teacher Julie Fillez is the teacher in charge of the high school’s French Club, and has recently advertised to her students of the activities that the French Club will be doing.

One of these said events is the Cemetary cleaning the club did in October, which the French Club did with the Spanish Honors Society for the spooky season. 

Other than that special event, the French Club tries to meet at least once a month. Each meeting has its own theme, which is what the meeting will center around with French food and a themed activity. 

For example, for the October meeting it was decided that the club would paint pumpkins. Because the French don’t have a big celebration for Halloween like the U.S., they wouldn’t have the typical Halloween parties one would be used to. Instead, they decorate pumpkins, and have even lined a walk-way going up to the Eiffel Tower with them.

“We had seen pictures of that (the walk-way) and thought, oh, let’s do that for French Club, and it has just become a favorite activity,” Filliez said. 

French Club is student lead and most planning is left up to senior officers in the club, with the exception of the necessary adult supervision which is of course lead by Fillez. 

With all clubs, things need to be approved and the French Club was first “born” in 2012 with the permission of one of the principals at the school. 

“French club was started by students, it was seniors who wanted to have a club where they could come and only speak French and only wanted people who were really serious about French so they could have a serious French cultural experience with like minded students,” Filliez said. 

Even though French Club has strayed from that original path, the original concept and requirements are still there. 

“It’s more of a cultural experience and it’s still student-led,” Filliez said. 

French Club is only exclusive to Honors French II students and above, but if students in lower level French classes manage to get A’s and turn in their homework on time, then they will have the opportunity to join as well. 

Originally when it was first started, it was only available to students in higher level classes which the majority of the time was seniors, but over the years it was expanded to more levels of French but only exclusively those who showed a real interest in French. 

“A lot of times seniors couldn’t fit it (French class) into their schedules for French class, and also some students don’t take French all four years, so it was going to be really small if we only had those students,” Filliez said. 

As for the students involved in French Club, the main reason that they are interested is the culture.

“I enjoy the language and the culture, and I also want colleges to think I’m cool, but mainly the culture aspect,” junior Dru Smith said.

A similar response is one from sophomore Madison Welch. 

“I originally joined French Club because I love the culture and want to do well in high-level French,” Welch said. 

For Welch it is not about a fancy display, and just enjoys being there with everyone to share their passion about French culture. 

“My favorite thing about French club is we all get together and learn more about the French culture and work together to make this group fun,” Welch said. 

It is highly recommended if a student truly does enjoy the language and the culture and are really serious about the French Class that they are currently taking, French Club is a fun option for students to take. 

If you are currently in a French Class and are interested in joining, seek further information from Madame Filliez in room C113. 

“My favorite thing about French club is we all get together and learn more about the French culture and work together to make this group fun,”

— Madison Welch