Former student now leads program

New+Light+%26+Sound+teacher+Anthony+Depinto+works+on+running+a+cable+under+the+theater+up+to+the+booth.+

Mia Russo

New Light & Sound teacher Anthony Depinto works on running a cable under the theater up to the booth.

From being a student in the Light & Sound career tech to running the show, Anthony Depinto has done it all. Not only was in the program but he has gone out and worked at various different theaters before finding his way back to his alma mater. 

Depinto was hired this year as the new Light & Sound career tech teacher after former teacher, Tamara Traut, resigned. While he has experience working in theaters, this is Depinto’s first year as a teacher. 

Depinto started his journey in the tech world during his time in high school. He was in the Light & Sound program himself and later graduated in 2012 from GlenOak. From there he worked at various theaters such as the Canton Palace theater, Canton South High School’s theater, along with nonprofits and churches. 

“I was the sound designer for the Palace theater for a few years. I managed Canton South’s theater last year, but I’ve done it all. A lot of nonprofits are everybody does everything. I wasn’t one position only, I’ve done a little bit of everything at every theater I worked at,” Depinto said. 

Not only is Depinto involved with the theater, but he is involved in various other activities.

“I am a mechanic for fun. I fix old jet skis, cars and anything with a motor. I like anything that’s mechanical,” Depinto said. “I collect model trains and I play a couple instruments.”

With Depinto’s extensive history in the theater, he is excited to head the theater that he started in. 

I’ve always wanted to be this person here. I think this is a special program and I’m excited to make something cool happen here and inspire kids because I was inspired when I came here. 

— Anthony Depinto

“I’ve always wanted to be this person here. I think this is a special program and I’m excited to make something cool happen here and inspire kids because I was inspired when I came here,” Depinto said. 

In previous years, Depinto would stop in during tech week to help out where he could. He even ran sound in past years for May Show. 

“I’m so used to coming in for the week before and helping along the way and now I’m the person it starts with and I’m really excited about that,” Depinto said.

Most of this is not new to Depinto, all but the teaching portion. Depinto just worked in theaters before but now not only is he working in the theater but he is teaching the next generation the ropes.

“The teaching part is new to me and I know all the content but I haven’t ever taught it day by day before,” Depinto said. 

Even with the new learning curves, Depinto is excited for the future and is adjusting well for his first year as a teacher.