Volleyball setting up for next season

Volleyball team reflects on the past season and prepares for the next.
Bailey Nice
Sydney Stepanovich and Landrey Davis celebrate after scoring the set point to tie the match against the Perry Panther

Bump, set, spike, the three fundamental skills that all volleyball players are taught at their first practice. The volleyball team has taken these core aspects of the game, and fine tuned their own skill sets to become No. 3 in the league.

Throughout the 2023 season, the team has grown as individual players, which in turn, helped them become one. In and out of practice they work endlessly to perfect their skills and it has paid off.

As the girls went 12-10 on the season, with seven of those wins being within the conference, they had to adapt to new coaching, younger players moving up and several injuries.

‘’As the season progressed, we started to learn more about each other that helped develop our team chemistry,’’ junior libero and defensive specialist Emmerson Kush said. 

The group of girls worked together at practice and at games to uplift each other and gave all of their efforts to better themselves and the team.

After the departure of Natalie Stephanovich, Maliana Paradis and Lydia Ayers, all key components of the 22’ Lady Eagles, upcoming seniors knew they had to step up their game.

“I worked very hard over the offseason to make sure I was best prepared for my senior season. I was nervous for the first game, as anybody would be, but at the same time, I was also excited to prove that I deserved the spot on the court,” senior libero Landrey Davis said.

Although the seniors played a large part in the teams’ successes, there is no forgetting the younger players who showed up, learned important lessons and gained valuable experience that will propel them in the future seasons.

“Playing alongside other hitters like Sophie E. Smith and Sydney Stepanovich, with help from my coaches, I was able to transform my abilities through the season,” sophomore and outside hitter Olivia Renicker said.

Older players tend to have a ‘’mentor, mentee’’ mindset with their underclassmen teammates, as most coaches inspire and encourage this behavior.

“This season has been one to remember. Through all of the ups and downs, I have gained my best friends through this sport and I wouldn’t trade a moment of it for anything. It was an amazing experience watching everybody mature, and play out the seniors’ seasons as we all grew as a team,’’ junior and outside hitter Sydney Stepanovich said.

As the team heads into the offseason, players prepare for club team tryouts. During that time, they are able to get 1-1 work with coaches to make sure they are best equipped for the upcoming season.

$516
$500