Queen of the Court

Senior Chandler Vaughn lead the team this season
Senior+Chandler+Vaughn+is+a+point+guard+for+the+girls+basketball+team.+
Lily Hoza
Senior Chandler Vaughn is a point guard for the girls basketball team.

Since the third grade, life has been a constant basketball game for senior Chandler Vaughn. She has not played any other sport besides basketball and this helps her to look more dominant toward other players each game.  

Vaughn plays for the GlenOak girls varsity basketball team. Given her position as point guard on the team this requires an extreme amount of focus and force in order for her to maintain the position.

The point guard has the biggest job on the team, and this creates a lot of stress. In order for her to bring up the ball effectively she needs to be able to move fast, as well as break any defense that the opposite team displays so the team can get the ball for a chance to score. 

My best strength is being able to handle the ball through all of the pressure and be our point guard,” Vaughn said. 

Even though Vaughn has great skills, she has to rely on her team on the court as well to succeed. Adapting to the other team’s offense and defense and working on all of their abilities plays a huge role in their gameplay. 

In addition to Vaughn’s performance on the court, she has remarkable performance in the classroom. She currently holds a 4.2 grade point average. For Vaughn, grades come before sports and Vaughn manages her time wisely. 

“Taking the time to do all of my work on Sunday helps me to get rest and manage my time wisely with basketball and school work, ” Vaughn said. 

Motivation is also a must-have when you are playing any sport. Her coach Paul Wackerly has helped her to work on her game and motivated her to climb to new heights.

“My coach is my best motivator and I have been with him since the fifth grade,” Vaughn said.   

“My coach is my best motivator and I have been with him since the fifth grade.”

— Chandler Vaughn

Multiple basketball teams have Vaughn on the roster. She plays Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) basketball in the summertime and plays for GlenOak in the winter. Vaughn playing all year round helps her to practice and improve on the game. Besides basketball Vaughn has other interests after highschool. 

Vaughn wants to study the healthcare route of becoming a physician’s assistant. 

“The reason why I want to be a physician’s assistant is because it seems really interesting, from being able to do the job to learning about the information that is needed to do the job,” Vaughn said. 

“ I do want to play but as for the final decision of where or if, I’m not sure,” Vaughn said. 

Vaughn is sure she wants to pursue her career in healthcare but is unsure of where she would like to go or if she wants to play. 

Even though Vaughn is really passionate about basketball, this is the career she wants to pursue and wherever she plans on going will determine her future as a person and as a player. From the classroom to the court Vaughn has shown exemplary performance with her skills and team’s support along the way. 

$516
$500