Bowler enjoys successful senior season

Kathryn Check was ranked second in Federal League this season
Marlie Mercado
Senior Kathryn Chech converses with her coach during a meet in January.

There has been a certain athlete that has had a tremendous impact on the girls bowling team. Senior Kathryn Chech was ranked number two female bowler in the Federal League.

Chech has only been bowling since her sophomore year, yet has still shown major talent and dominance in the sport. 

“Initially I joined just to get better and see, and then once I started getting good I actually just wanted to be the best,” Chech said.

“I feel like once I learned the fundamentals it’s easy to just figure out my own style of bowling and then once you figure out your own style you can develop that skill,” 

The bowling team tends to follow a relatively simple practice schedule.

“So generally it’s just like you go and you practice but the coaches will go work individually with the bowler for specific things that they need to work on,” Chech said

What has helped Chech achieve this high Federal League ranking is her impressive personal performances throughout the season.

“My best match was a match against Green, I shot a 235 and a 210 and we beat Green and broke their 56 match win streak”, Chech said

As of now Chech does not plan to bowl collegiately but, still plans to pursue it as a hobby after graduation. 

“After high school I’ll probably join a league at an alley instead of college”, Chech said

“For college bowling, there is a lot of dedication it takes up your schedule a lot more so if you just do a league that’s just once a week instead of practicing and tournaments everyday,” Chech said 

Bowling is a sport that oftentimes doesn’t get as much attention as the major sports such as football, basketball and baseball which causes a lot of misconceptions about the sport to be spread.

“People say that bowling isn’t a sport because it’s not physical, even though it’s not like physical it’s a big mental game and there is strength with it,” Chech said.

Chech has grown to love the sport of bowling and excels in it greatly but is not interested in pursuing it beyond high school. For now she continues to be dominant in the lanes and hold an impressive conference ranking.

$516
$500