Esto Jazz

Music teacher Robert Esterle leads his own music group, balancing careers in teaching and preforming
Album cover for “Esto Jazz”.

In the lower floor of Glenwood intermediate school, at the very end of the hall, the sounds of instruments fill the air. Staples like Hot Cross Buns and simple B flat scales ring throughout the old room. For many students, this is their first introduction to an academic life full of music. 

Plain Local teacher Robert Esterle spends his days instructing fifth grade students in the art of music. Esterle has always been passionate about teaching new musicians, but he also has a long history within his own musical career. He’s been a part of many groups. including one under his very own name known as Esto Jazz

When did you decide you wanted to do music professionally?

I actually started playing professionally when I was 14 years old playing saxophone, clarinet and flute in big bands in the Cleveland area. My elementary and middle school band teacher was a great big band drummer who invited me to come and sit in with a band that he played with and apparently I did so well that they kept having me come back. This led to quite a few other big band, wedding and other types of gigs through college. I’ve led various jazz groups under my own name for quite some time and ended up starting my Esto Jazz group back in 2008!

Why did you form Esto Jazz? How did you meet and come to play with the other members of the group? 

In March of 2008, I was invited to be a member of the house band at a place called Brothers Lounge by an old friend of mine, a great drummer, by the name of Jim “JR” Richley, who had just come back to the area after being on tour for several years. We actually went to Youngstown State University together, played in the same jazz bands there and became good friends but lost touch when he went on the road. After I joined the “Band of Brothers,” Jim suggested I put a jazz group together and call it “Esto Jazz” (Esto was his nickname for me in college).

I wanted to have my own group and play the material that I had wanted to play for quite some time. Our first gigs were in the concert hall at Brothers Lounge and the first version of the band included Richley on drums, the great Wilbur Krebs on bass and Dan Murphy on piano. I met my current keyboardist, Dominic Reto, through Richley and found someone who was as positive and motivated about my project as I was. Most of the time we play as a trio because Dominic plays excellent left hand bass as he plays the chords (quite a feat!). When we do add a bass then Wilbur is my first choice because he is quite amazing and extremely creative.

Who composes the music for Esto Jazz?

Most of the music that we play are contemporary jazz and pop covers that I’ve chosen as improvisational vehicles because I wanted to pick music that people would recognize but could be stretched in various ways. The originals that we play are either written by me or our keyboardist, Dominic Reto.

How frequently does Esto Jazz perform? Where do you perform?

Before COVID hit, we were playing about once per month then it took some time to get things back on track to about the same amount. Many of the places that we had played either closed or stopped booking music entirely. Some months are busier than others which depends on what gigs pop up. It’s pretty challenging booking an all instrumental group like this on a regular basis but it’s certainly a labor of love. I also play with several other bands in the Cleveland area.

Have there been any defining moments in your musical career?

I’ve been very fortunate to have some really great performing and recording opportunities in my life. The past four years I’ve been invited to play with Grammy award winning jazz pianist and composer, Bob James, at Gervasi Vineyard and have played several gigs with the Temptations, the Four Tops, Bobby Caldwell and Ray Charles, among others. My Esto Jazz group has performed all over Northeast Ohio with some really great gigs at Blujazz in Akron, the Bop Stop and the Cleveland Museum of Art. We recently released a recording that we did a few years ago that I finally got mastered (remixed) and is now available on all streaming platforms. This past Spring, I recorded three new songs with local pianist and recording engineer, Kevin Disimone, which will be released sometime this winter.

How do you balance teaching young new musicians and pursuing your own musical career?

I can honestly say that I love both sides of my musical life and especially enjoy teaching and encouraging my students.  I am thrilled to see them grow and continue into the high school band program. My job as a music teacher is my full time job and definitely a priority. I do try to keep up with practicing and gigs outside of school as much as possible because I feel that performing helps me to continue to grow and improve as a teacher.

Visit estojazz.com to explore more about Esterle’s music

$516
$500