Mu Alpha Theta makes math fun

Gabriella Harris

Adviser Matt Brown instructs the TEAM+S engineering competitors on their upcoming essay. Students from left to right include: junior Zachary Brown, senior Brody Fravel and junior Roman Shaheen.

Math is infamous for being the bane of most high schooler’s existence. Logarithms, proofs and time-consuming problems plague the nightmares of students alongside their incomplete homework assignments. With these woes in mind, the members of Mu Alpha Theta are working to change these math misconceptions while demonstrating their excellence in the subject.

Mu Alpha Theta, also known as Math Honor Society, recently opened up their chapter at GlenOak High School in September of 2021. Matt Brown, adviser of the newly formed chapter, had a dream of bringing together the best math students in the school to become a superteam of sorts, working to successfully compete against other math students in the district.

“I had noticed for some years that several of the students from other high schools recognized as Canton Repository ‘Teens of the Month’ listed a math honor society among their activities. Why could we not have a similar organization here at GlenOak?” Brown said. “We have the intellectual talent and motivation, and students possessing those qualities should be recognized as such. Moreover, I dislike seeing cerebral talent among young people not being used to its full potential.”

Brown took to recruiting for this honor society at the end of the 2021 school year, recruiting a dozen current and former students to form the original class of members.

“I joined Mu Alpha Theta because of my love for math, and I wanted to have the opportunity to partake in competitions regarding mathematics,” senior Brody Fravel said.

Students in the club uphold an efficient work ethic and have committed themselves to guiding others in their math careers, as well as furthering their own academic goals.

“Anyone wanting to join Mu Alpha Theta should have an appreciation for the fundamentals behind mathematics, a desire to continue building upon topics they have previously learned and a competitive spirit,” vice-president and senior Paolo Sinopoli said.

Since Mu Alpha Theta is in its infancy, the club is laying the foundations for future students and their math endeavors. Members plan on joining the Stark State Math Contest and the TEAM+S, which stands for Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science, state competition in order to display their math prowess.

“I’m currently serving as a peer tutor for students referred to me through Mu Alpha Theta and will be participating in the TEAM+S competition with a group of Mu Alpha Theta members,” Sinopoli said. “I’m looking forward to representing my school and setting an example for future members.”

These competitions will help Mu Alpha Theta establish its presence as a chapter, involve students in math around the community and increase the intellectual strength and reputation of the school. 

“I have been for most of my teaching career in the fortunate position to instruct and work with the brightest students at GlenOak, and this year is no exception,” Brown said. “I consider it a privilege and an honor to be involved in at least a small part with the lives of our top performers academically, and I consider it a responsibility to bring the ‘best out of the best’ so to speak.”

I consider it a privilege and an honor to be involved in at least a small part with the lives of our top performers academically, and I consider it a responsibility to bring the ‘best out of the best’ so to speak.

— Matt Brown

To those looking to join Mu Alpha Theta, the club members share a simple message: Don’t hesitate.

“It’s a great group of people, and as long as you show effort in the competitions and club meetings you will be a great fit,” Fravel said.

Upcoming competitions will take place in February and April. If you are interested in joining or would like to receive help in your math classes, contact Brown in order to be connected with peer tutors.